Search

Login Form

Other Cool Blogs:

18 February 2014
Okay I know that's probably the worst title I've come up with but the only other title I could think of was New Female - the literal translation of Novella - and that was just rubbish.

Wikipedia waxes lyrical about Novellas but for me they are simply shorter than a novel and longer than a short story.

The Nebulla Award for Best Novella pegs a novella as being between 17,500 and 40,000 words in length. Which I think is a good range to aim for when writing one.

What got me thinking about Novellas in the first place was a couple of them by Charles Stross that I read recently during my daily commute.


         

I downloaded them both from Kindle and was pleasantly surprised.  I found them both to be well written and enjoyable and I'd now like to read longer books in the series.  They are also based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos.  I'm not the worlds biggest Cthulhu fan but having read several of his books and played the RPG in my younger years I am familiar with the mythos.

But this post isn't really about plugging those two books.  Although I am reminded I need to review them on Goodreads.  This post is about my decision to take this years NaNoWriMo Novel and split it into 3 parts and release them as Novellas.

The book was originally titled; "Wynter Unending" and follows the adventures of Wynter Skye, a teenage acolyte with magical powers and her attempts to undertake a simple protection mission for the Council who are the ruling body in a post cataclysmic England.  At least that's how the book starts off.  I won't go into details here but the book is perfect for turning into a series of three Novellas that may grow into more.  

It also strikes me as a good way to increase my product range using my existing works.  Which should be good for the brand.



  




0 comments:

Post a Comment