Search

Login Form

Other Cool Blogs:

24 February 2014
...you're not looking in the right place.  Or to put it in other words you're not asking the right question.

It never ceases to amaze me the sheer abundance of information available on the internet.  So much so I wonder what writers did, in years gone by, if they needed to know something.

Today I wanted to add a copyright and disclaimer to the beginning of my E-book.  Simple task bring up Google and type "Ebook Disclaimer" and I find no-end of related sites.

In the end I chose this one:

http://www.thebookdesigner.com/2010/01/6-copyright-page-disclaimers-and-giving-credit/

I also then went and selected the simpler of his copyright text as well.

The first result that came up for me in Google was this:

http://www.seqlegal.com/free-legal-documents/ebook-disclaimer

They offer a proper legal disclaimer for factual/advice style books and it's free.  I've never known a lawyer to give something away for free before.

I was also looking a book covers, again, today and came across a really simple one that I thought would be cool to use as a basis for my own book.

This is the jacket in question:


I like it because it's largely designed not drawn and, therefore, would require a few silhouette images but no expensive hand drawn pictures or Shutter-stock images etc to create just someone with a fair bit of talent.

This got me to thinking about copyright theft of works like book jackets and another search on-line and I ended up reading through the following:

http://99designs.com/designer-blog/2013/04/19/5-famous-copyright-infringement-cases/

Now I don't think it answered my specific question but it did give me food for thought and I've learnt something from reading the blog post.

Rare is the occasion when I struggle to find information I seek on-line and usually this just requires a modification of my search terms.

A huge amount of information is stored on Wikipedia alone and I guess this constantly evolving on-line encyclopaedia is the modern equivalent of 10 volumes of the Encyclopaedia Britannica.  And yes I did just look that up as well.

As storytellers all of this information is at our fingertips.  It is freely available for us to mould into our works to use to improve our writing.  If knowledge truly does equal power then maybe the internet empowers us all.



0 comments:

Post a Comment