Search

Login Form

Other Cool Blogs:

19 February 2014
In all seriousness I have never considered myself to be a writer.

If I give it consideration then I prefer to think of myself as a storyteller.


If only it was as easy as John Hurt had it back in the late 80's.

In my head live a jumble of stories all vying for the chance to be told.  But the only way that is going to happen is if I knuckle down, start bashing the keys and create novels/books out of them.

The problem with that though is it's not a simple as just typing the story.  Once you've done that there are endless hours of rewriting, editing, proofing and even reading aloud.  Even once you've got a finished manuscript then what do you do with it?  If you have an agent they'll tout it to publishers for you.  Or you may be an indie and publish it yourself.

Even then once the book is available to the General Public you still have to advertise and market the book. And you have to do this while starting the process all over again on your next creative effort.

When you look at the earnings of the average writer you do wonder if the effort is worth it, financially at least.  But still this is my first foray into this world and I have some ideas for marketing my début novel and we'll see if they work.

If they don't work then I have some more.  Which is one of the keys to the whole marketing process.  You need to have multiple marketing strategies and I've already started mine before I've actually finished my final round of editing.

Web presence is obviously a big factor in this and I've managed, in a short space of time, to get to 1000+ twitter followers.  A personal milestone and hopefully I'll go on to get more.

At the beginning of my twitter foray I targeted like minded people, authors and writers, but I've developed a series of more targeted strategies to find followers who I think will like my book.  As part of this I use the
standard Twitter search but I've also recently started Pluggio with varying success.

Then there's this blog as well.  I'd like to get more 'buy in' on the blog but it ticks over nicely.  My facebook page I hope will start to build likes and then there are going to be multiple websites.  Each book will have a website like George and the Dragon but so will I have a website in my role as an author.

But then there's so much more I will be able to use once I get my first book on line. Goodreads' author program comes to mind for starters.  Page boosting on Facebook and Adwords are other possibilities.  I've already had a play with Page boosting.

So, fingers crossed, there's plenty of avenues I can use and people will enjoy the book when it's released.







0 comments:

Post a Comment