Search

Login Form

Other Cool Blogs:

6 February 2014
So as I close in on the time when I'm going to publish George and the Dragon my thoughts turn to book covers and what I think would make a decent book cover.

The first thing I did was to have a good search around on-line to see what there was out there.

There's a whole industry that appears to thrive on selling pre-made book covers.  To me this seems like writing a novel to fit the cover rather than the reverse.  While I have a found a stock picture I would like to be used as the cover for Second Chance At Happiness I would still rather pay to have someone turn that into a bespoke cover than go to a website and trawl through their pre-made covers trying to find one that 'loosely' fits the book.



I mean seriously do you think the book covers for any of the most popular books you can think of were just picked from a random list of covers on some website because they were cheep.

Take Harry Potter for example not only are the covers all bespoke through each series of covers there are common features.  Especially the primary colour set at the top.


If you're writing a series the only way you are going to get such great continuity between covers is to use bespoke covers, whether you pay someone to design them for you or you design them yourself.

One of the best ideas I've seen for book covers is 99 Designs.  The idea of having many people tender for the job so that I get a variety of options to choose from appeals to me.  However, you have to get the design brief right if you choose to go down that route.

There's also plenty of advice available on the web with respect to cover design.  

99 Designs has advice on their website but there are also advice available else such as:


or 


I have decided, I think as it's not set in stone, to use a company that offers to both help with the cover design and getting the book on Kindle and Smashwords.  For me this makes the most sense as it will neatly tie up the end process of getting the book out to the masses.

I guess what I am trying to say or to sum up: Don't skimp on your cover only to regret it later.


0 comments:

Post a Comment