Search

Login Form

Other Cool Blogs:

15 April 2014
and they weren't all men.

As I continue to introduce you to some of the characters you'll meet when you read George and the Dragon I turn my attention to first of several female characters featured in the book.

The victor off the Battle of Britain with a group of pilots, photographed during a reunion. 
Click on the picture to link back to the source.

I came across this and other pictures like it while researching which characters I wanted as part of the story.  It made me realise that I needed a strong female WAAF officer, not to have one would have done as much disservice to the women of the WAAF as having 4 English pilots would have to the other Europeans that fought as part of the battle of Britain.

So today I'd like to introduce you to:

Section Officer Caroline King (W.A.A.F)


Women in the second World War did not fight on the front lines.  Back in World War II not only did they not fight in the war they had their own service and their own ranks.  Caroline is an office in the Women's Auxiliary Air Force; she holds the rank of Section Officer.  Section Officer is the equivalent of the RAF's Flying Officer the rank immediately above Pilot Officer.  The rank is at the same level as the British Army Lieutenant.

Section Officer King is very good at her job, demands much of those around her and pivotal to the story.   She's good looking but would not dream of becoming involved with any of the male officers that work along side her.

  



0 comments:

Post a Comment