Search

Login Form

Other Cool Blogs:

4 March 2014


...or not as the case maybe.


Adverbs aren't the most loved word type in the English language and yet we use them conversationally all the time.

The following are two of my favourite adverb quotes:

I am dead to adverbs; they cannot excite me."

- Mark Twain

“The road to hell is paved with adverbs.”

- Stephen King

This is not to say you won't find them sprinkled among my writing.  Pro Writing Aid is happier with my use of them than it is my use of was, had or could that's for certain.

But there is one adverb that I dislike more than all the others I use and that is:

SIMPLY

If ever there is an adjective that highlights the unnecessary use of adjectives it is this one.

I have yet to find a sentence where removing the word changes the sentence.  As far as I can tell such a case simply does not exist.  (See what I did there)

There is now only one instance of this in my entire novel and that's used in conversation, because I can't get away from the fact we use the word all the time.  But as my character says:

"The thought is simply preposterous!"




0 comments:

Post a Comment