Search

Login Form

Other Cool Blogs:

24 February 2015

...write?






People often ask me how I write and the best answer I can give is that I write in conversations.

But what does that really mean?

Well on Monday morning on the way in to work, as I often do, I wrote some more of the sequel to George and the Dragon. This is what I managed to write:

“Hauptmann Steinhuaser are you out of your mind?”

“Good afternoon General von Vogler I wasn't expecting you to be here.”

“Clearly not and I doubt you expected to have to explain your actions either but here I am and I am still waiting.”

“You were gone, the mission to render London into ashes had had limited success and our forces had been defeated by the British.  It seemed prudent that I should act to replenish our dragon numbers while we awaited your return.”

“Indeed, and the attack on our forces?”

“They attacked us and quite frankly if they weren't prepared to win that fight they never should have started it. And besides now I have a much better idea of Eissturm’s combat capabilities. This, as I am sure you will agree, will us a more effective combat unit for future engagements.”

“We shall see about that. I have a mission for you and given your recent actions I shall be making you the mission commander.”

“I get to engage the enemy dragons so soon?”

“No. There is another enemy asset I wish for you and your new companion to destroy.”

“But what is the point of having command of a regal dragon if not to attack the British and their dragon Spitfire?”

“Do not rush to seek out your enemy Hauptmann they will seek you out soon enough and then you will have your chance.”

This is a conversation between the main antagonist in George and the Dragon, General von Voglar and a new antagonist character Hauptmann Steinhauser. Hauptmann if you are curious is the Luftwaffe equivalent rank to Flight Officer, the same rank that Alexandr Sokol holds. It is the rank immediately junior to Squadron Leader.

You'll notice there's no descriptives in that at all.  Not a single said, bridled, glared, commanded, advised or any other word and nothing written about what the two characters are doing.

All that I will fill in at a later point when I work my way back over their words and work out more fully in my mind how the two antagonists react to each other.

This is how it turned out after the second pass:

“Hauptmann Steinhuaser are you out of your mind?” General von Vogler demanded as he appeared in the keep doorway.

“Good afternoon General von Vogler I wasn't expecting you to be here,” Liesl responded as she made her way across the court yard.  Even from a distance the General could hear that her voice was laden with sarcasm.

“Clearly not and I doubt you expected to have to explain your actions either. But here I am and I am still waiting for a explanation and I am unaccustomed to waiting for anything,” the General responded. He was more lenient with the young officer than he would have been with any man under his command.  It wasn't because of her sex, he had been hard enough on her while she proved herself to him.  No he had plans for her and while she proved herself to be useful it didn't hurt to extend her a little leeway now and then.

“You were gone,” she shrugged as she spoke, “the mission to render London into ashes had met with limited success and our forces had been routed by the British.  It seemed prudent that I should act to replenish our dragon numbers while we awaited your return.”

“Is that so? Well I find I cannot fault your logic and might even be tempted to command your use of your own initiative. So tell me what of the attack on our forces?”

“In truth the pilots attacked us and quite frankly if they weren't prepared to win that fight they should have kept their feet on the ground. Besides now I have a much better idea of Eissturm’s combat capabilities it will make us a more effective unit for future engagements.”

“I look forward to a time when the evidence corroborates that statement. Where is the Zauberbuch?” as he asked the General held out his hand waiting expectantly.

Liesl fished the leather bound book from within her flight jacket. It was smaller than she had expected it to be when she had learnt of its existence and the General easily held it in one hand.
“Thank you. I trust that it will never leave this castle without my permission again,” he said and without waiting for a response added, “I have a mission for you and given your recent actions I have decided that you will be the mission commander.”

“I get to engage the enemy dragons so soon?” Liesl asked finding it to suppress he excitement welling inside her.

“No. There is another enemy asset I wish for you and your new companion to destroy,” the General said as they entered his office and he scooped a file up from off of his desk.

“But what is the point of having command of a regal dragon if not to attack the British and their dragon Spitfire?” Liesl asked a whine almost perceptible in her voice.

“Do not rush to seek out your enemy Hauptmann they will seek you out soon enough and then you will have your chance,” the General said hoping that she may accept his wisdom but suspecting she would seek out the first chance to engage the boy, George and his Dragon, Spitfire. “Close the door on your way out,” he said dismissing her at the same time as he handed her the file containing her orders.

It's not perfect yet but that will come in time when the first draft is complete and I start revising the manuscript etc.

Hopefully that's also whet your appetite for the next instalment in the Knights of the Sky series.

Phil


0 comments:

Post a Comment